Thunder Butte

January 07, 2010

Arctic Blast -- The Old Soddy Would Come in Handy Tonight

After posting my story on the Anna Carr Sod House last night, I couldn't help but notice the weather forecast for Bison, South Dakota today. At 5:00 a.m., the temperature was -17 degrees Farenheit, but according to AccuWeather.com, the RealFeel@ -- what it actually felt like was -51 degrees. Those are the kind of conditions that prove the superiority of the old sod house to just about anything people live in today. A sod house could be kept warm at a fraction of the cost of a house constructed with more conventional building materials. Of course, under these conditions, you wouldn't want to wander outside no matter what your style of dwelling.

The forecast says that it will get down to a real -22 degrees at midnight tonight. I know where I'd be spending the night if I lived in Bison -- at the Anna Carr Sod House. In any case, I know that snow is in the forecast for me tonight.

--Mike Crowley
Mike Crowley Thursday, January 07, 2010

1 Comments:

Your blog is very interesting.I'm waiting for your new post.
Have a nice week-end.

Post a Comment